Monday, October 09, 2006

Needles flying . . .

We're getting ready to go to see our son and his family, so I am frantically grabbing at things I need to finish and pack, or at least get to the point where I can complete them during the 12 hour drive. I have three doll sweaters knitted, ready to assemble, and dragged out the clothes I've started for my grand-daughters American Girl dolls. I think she knows that Nana is a sure thing on that subject because she parlayed a birthday gift certificate to the American Girl store with a discount coupon and bought a third doll, instead of clothes for the two she already has.

The clothes aren't difficult, but there are parts that are awkward to assemble, for example, puffed sleeves in a 5-inch armhole, complicated by elastic. I've made wedding gowns in my time that were more easily manipulated. The pay-off, of course, is the smile on my grand-daughter's face. Or, even on the phone, when she calls to report a package has arrived, one can hear the smile in her voice.

Our grandson has invited us to his pre-school. He's pretty excited about that. And, I remember the older two were so proud to have us there, too.

I know I'll have an opportunity to go to the quilt shop, Cottonwood, in Charlottesville, Virginia. But, I keep telling myself I should stay away to save my mad money for a shop hop in Florida in one month. This has been a good year for "excellent adventures"!

I'll try to take lots of pictures in Virginia, and post them when I return.

2 comments:

quiltpixie said...

have a great trip!

Quilts And Pieces said...

Oh have a great trip Linda. Got to admire you attempting those American Girl Doll clothes! I used to try and make barbie clothes and just gave up. It was so much easier to buy them! But as a girl Mrs Claus used to always bring our barbies hand crocheted clothes. You sure couldn't get those today - and they were sooo awesome!