Tuesday, October 31, 2006

A Heap of "Square Ones"



First, the picture is of probably my all time favorite quilt I ever made. It's from Judy Martin's early book, Scrap Quilts, published back in the 1980's. (The book is such a favorite, it started to disassemble, and I had to have it spiral bound to keep it together!) DH and I were going to New Mexico and Texas, and I needed a small project to take on the plane, and to last the duration of the trip. I prepared all the star block corners, the bias binding, and lots of scrappy leaves . . . packed them in a little pink tool box, and away I went! Now, I wouldn't be able to carry all my little tools on in that fashion, so I travel with knitting on a plastic circular needle, and a novel to read.

Since I had done so well, keeping to my quota of six perfume bottle blocks, and was actually ahead of my target by Friday, I decided to take the evening off. Saturday morning, I started out fresh, made my 6 Friday blocks, and plowed on through to finish the full complement of perfume bottles. Thinking of names certainly made that go quickly. I almost couldn't wait to see what the next fabric in line was, to start pondering a name for its "fragrance". Another decision made . . . the fabrics that qualified by having gold on theme, but didn't seem to fit a flowery, or romantic theme, will be given "dime store perfume" names. First one up . . . Odie Coloney!

Next matter at hand is the skewed set. I launched EQ5 to work up a template. I wasn't happy with the result. The piece is too narrow to really show off my setting fabric. So, then I calculated the size of the finished blocks if I enlarge the half-rectangle to a more suitable width. Of course, the quilt size increased exponentially. With my planned set, the blocks would finish at 90 X 105", with no border. And, I want to have a border . . . that's where I plan to include the title of the quilt, "Eau de Parfum". I need to contemplate this a bit longer. Maybe I have two quilt tops . . . it's happened before!

4 comments:

The Calico Cat said...

That "2 quilt tops" thing has happened to me too! (I have enough cat blocks sewn or cut out for 4 quilt tops I think!)

LOVE that quilt! It is scrappy & serene with enough going on...

Unknown said...

Linda that is a really pretty quilt - I love applique in with piecing like that :o)

Finn said...

Hi Linda C, thanks for stopping over at my blog and leaving such a nice comment..*VBS* I have always loved the Sister's Choice block, and your quilt of it is just gorgeous. I think the applique adds sooo much. And the colors are perfect!! Hugs, Finn

Quilts And Pieces said...

Oh Linda - this one is wonderful! Did you hand quilt this one? I love just simple grid work. This is spectacular!