Friday, November 03, 2006

Borders on a stalled project



Tired of spinning in circles, I decided to attack those UFO's that required the shortest amount of attention to enable moving them to my "quilt top collection". Here's the first one. It started as a "cheater" panel . . . also known as "ready to quilt". While they serve the purpose of a quick gift quite nicely, I like to think I have more imagination than just "slapping on some borders, and calling it a quilt". This was a sample for a class called, "Everybody loves a cheater!". The focus was to use the panel as a starting point, but create something more personal. As can be seen, I framed the large portion of the panel to bring it out to an even measurement. Then surrounded it with blocks. The star blocks feature the remaining portions of the panel at the center. I had some orphan maple leaf blocks that were not used in my Maple Leaf quilt. I made a few more using the same neutral as the star blocks, and framed them with flying geese, four patches, and even an hour glass, or two. If I were to make this top again, I would omit the hour glass blocks, because the flying geese, and four-patches provide more interest. (The photo is taken with the top draped over the quilt I posted previously . . . the blue isn't part of the Sweet Potatoes plus quilt top.)

Just a few days until some of my quilting friends and I head for Florida for a quilt shop hop . . . second annual event, even. We had such a wonderful time last year, we decided to do it again. Most of us will fly to Atlanta where we connect with Jan, coming in from Texas, and Patti, who will board at Atlanta. We have our meeting point selected, we'll have lunch, and then all will board the flight to Tampa. From then on, it's party hearty!

5 comments:

Hedgehog said...

Watch out Tampa!! I really like this quilt - love the way you used the cheater cloth and the blocks you chose. Many of those blocks are going to show up in my medallion!

The Calico Cat said...

That is a good use for a cheater. (I never saw that one whole... Do you have another so we can see a before & after?)

Quilts And Pieces said...

Oh have fun you guys! I want to hear lots of stories when you get back!

I love what you did with the Sweet Potato panel. Now I'm kicking myself I didn't buy that one when I saw it this weeekend. I remembered you had showed me what you had started, but boy - it is really great all done!

Unknown said...

Linda I love that quilt top - the stars look so nice with objects in the middle of them - can't tell from the photo if it's printed fabric or applique but it looks a really good idea (can't you hear the cogs turning in my head?) - amazing what you can turn a 'cheat' panel into

Finn said...

Hi Lois, I like your cheater center and accompaning blocks. It's a neat idea to give some focus to that cheater part, but add the workin's....great job! Hugs, Finn