Friday, May 02, 2008

Funny story never gets old!

I'm very lucky to have wonderful quilting friends, and we have had so many fun adventures through the years. One event came to mind this morning, and though it happened many years ago, I sat here and giggled till my sides hurt!

Melanie and I were together in a flea market outside Waynesville, Ohio. There was a fabric outlet, and we were cruising for bargains. Suddenly, I saw it . . . our Guild Retreat had featured an ugly fabric exchange several times, and presuming that would be featured again this year, this was the perfect candidate. It had a black background with large neon pink blossoms, and acid green leaves. It was hideous. I couldn't wait to show Mel . . . and I kept saying, "I love it!" Took it over to the clerk for cutting, and she was looking at me strangely. I explained my purpose, and she said, "oh . . . I was afraid you really did like this!" I had a half-yard cut, knowing that no one could possibly find anything more gruesome than this piece of fabric. The weeks flew by, and it was time for Retreat. On Saturday evening, we were each instructed to bring our fabric to share in a brown paper bag. We played a game passing right and then left. When all the passing was through, Darle was chosen to select three letters from a bowl, and use adjectives to describe the fabric inside the brown paper bag she now held, at which point, anyone playing could call out to receive the hidden treasure for her very own. Her adjectives were, "bright, stunning, and cheerful". It sounded to me as though it was right up my alley, and of course, I spoke up, knowing that this was one fabulous piece of fabric, and I was going to love owning it. The bag was passed to me, and I think you can guess what was in it. I peeked inside, and instantly was laughing so hard, I couldn't breathe, much less, speak. Melanie was sitting next to me, and she tried to help me, by taking the bag, and looking, too. Now, two of us are hysterical . . . but not nearly as amused as everyone else when they saw the fabric! I think I threw it in a dumpster before I came home! I should have been ashamed of myself, contaminating a landfill that way, but it hasn't found it's way back to me yet!

2 comments:

Quilts And Pieces said...

Oh too funny! I never heard that one! It sounded kind of cool to me!

Candace said...

Great story. It's too bad you didn't keep a little piece to share on your blog. Of course, there probably weren't blogs back then.