Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Give photo upload another chance!

Continuing the review of "flimsies" on parade, this probably my favorite block in another quilt in my "quilt top collection". I had some fabric with huge lilies, and one petal became the chest of my little hummingbird. The blocks are from a book by Brandywine Design, but I enlarged them to 125%. I just wanted to work with bright fabrics on a black background.

This is the whole quilt top. The only block that I can say I was disappointed in was the sunflowers at the bottom. That's because my bird is just a bit too dark, and it somewhat disappears, I think. I had great fun fussy cutting butterfly wings from striped fabrics. I bought a different print for sashing, but the whimsical stripes reaally punch it up. I have backing, and the bias made . . . just need to get started quilting it.


Here are my clue #4 blocks for the Bonnie Hunter Orange Crush mystery. Finshed them yesterday evening. When I was assembling the four-patch units, it seemed as though every patch I picked up was pink. Imagine my surprise as I began to assemble the spinning stars to realize how much green I found in my finished four-patches. I wonder what made them change like that? At the top of the picture is my journal, "Fresh Squeezed", for this project. As clues are posted, I print them off and paste them inside. Then, I add notes of my own, and follow up with the picture of my finished clues. These journals are most helpful when I have put something aside for a while, providing notes on plans discarded, or a technique to explore. I think someday, my grandchildren may enjoy reading the story of the quilt and what was happening in the world as I made it.
Have about a week until the next clue will be posted. Can't decide what should get the majority of my attention in the interim. Might have to start something new!



4 comments:

Cornfield Quilter said...

I love the quilt and your OC blocks really shine! Thanks for the eye candy this morning. :D

Candace said...

Your flimsey is beautiful. I always like the appliqued quilts, but I am too scared to try one. I also like your colors a lot on your OC mystery. Very pretty indeed.

Quilter Kathy said...

Wonderful happy blocks!
Great idea to make a quilt journal!

Laura said...

I love your orange crush blocks, they are my faves so far. They are so fun looking. I have never seen your applique quilt put together. It is stunning!!!! I just love it.